Thursday, May 17, 2012

DIY Jewelry Holder



Yesterday I was feeling creative. I had seen a jewelry holder on urbanoutfitters.com that I liked, but I was sure that I could make it myself. Then I decided to check YouTube to see if there were any tutorials on how to make a jewelry holder. I found a few and surprisingly they were way cuter than the initial one I found online. I decided to give it a go and this is what I ended up with:






I quite like it. It actually looks a lot better in person. I tried to get some decent pics, but my light when out in my room and I've been living by lamp light until I can get to the store, so I was unable to take any good pictures. Hopefully you get the gist of it despite the awful photography. :)
And here's how I made it, if you're interested:
1. I bought a frame at the thrift store for $3.99. I thing it's 8x11. I spray painted the frame gold and let it dry for about 30 minutes.
2. I stapled 4 layers of blue tulle to the back of the frame making sure it was on the frame tightly.
3. Next I stapled a layer of window screen behind the tulle.
4. I purchased gold nails a Walmart for $.97. They are a bit bigger than regular nails. The size and the color make the nails look a little better than regular nails would. I hammered the nails to the bottom of the frame at regular intervals.
5. I made a bow out of gold ribbon. I secured the bow with super glue to ensure it would not come undone. I nailed the tails of the bow to the back of the frame making the hanger.
6. I put furniture grips on each corner of the back of the frame in order for the frame to have space between the frame and the wall. It makes putting earring on and taking them off alot easier.
So that's it. A simple jewelry hanger. The most expensive part was the window screen. It was $6, but I have enough to make about 500 more of these. :)
Have you done any DIY projects lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment