Thursday, March 15, 2012

Vintage Tech

I am taking a course at university entitled History of Radio. I only signed up because I needed another course and I thought it would be totally boring. However, I find the class fascinating. Everybody in the 20's, 30's and 40's listened to radio. It was a national pastime. When WWII hit, CBS led the way with news reporting (something not all that common on radio before the war). People started turning to radio for their up to date information on the war, something the newspapers couldn't provide. Radio has an interesting history and I have come to love learning about that history.
So one day my mom and I went shopping at a vintage store and an antique store neither of us had ever been to. It was a little impromptu adventure. I fell in love with the vintage store. They had the cutest furniture, little figurines and... vintage radios! I HAD to have one. Only it turns out they were all around $40 a pop and I really didn't need to spend that much. I left the vintage store a bit disappointed. Next we went to the antique store. It was cool. I found some neat records and vintage wrapping paper. When we were about to leave I spotted something at the back of the store... a vintage radio for only $15. I promptly put the records away and grabbed my radio.
I love it! It's a green Motorola beauty. I believe it's from the 1950's, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, it's awesome and it actually works. I think I may get into listening to AM radio because of it. this may actually be my favorite used find ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment